Estate Administration Attorney Guiding You through Your Duties
Helping you carry out your responsibilities as an estate executor
Invictus Law, P.C. helps estate executors, also known as personal representatives, administer their duties when a loved one passes. Estate administration is the legal process through which the executor named in a loved one’s will carries out his or her fiduciary duties. From our office in Santa Ana, California, we serve all Orange County communities, including Orange and Irvine. And from our Ontario office, we serve all communities in Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
Assisting you throughout the estate administration process
At Invictus Law, P.C., one of our estate planning lawyers guides you through the estate administration process, which may seem overwhelming as you deal with the aftermath of a loved one’s death. We advise you on whether probate is necessary and whether a notice of proposed action is necessary to sell or transfer assets. Drawing on our experience with wills, we also determine whether any obstacles may obstruct your path.
- Depending on the size and complexity of the estate, your duties may vary. However, they typically include:
- Securing certified copies of the death certificate
- Filing the will with the appropriate Superior Court of California county probate court
- Notifying beneficiaries
- Notifying the county tax assessor’s office that the real property owner has died
- Getting a tax identification number
- Setting up an estate checking account
- Filing a notice of fiduciary relationship with the Internal Revenue Service
- Transferring property from your loved one to beneficiaries
- Providing an inventory of assets and an assessment of each asset’s value within four months to the probate court
- Notifying creditors
- Paying debts and expenses
- Paying taxes
- Distributing the remainder of the estate to named beneficiaries
- Notifying the probate court when all taxes and debts have been paid and the estate’s assets have been distributed
Throughout the process, our legal team remains responsive to your needs. We know that you are going to have questions, and we answer them promptly and thoroughly.
Helping you carry out your duties as a trustee
Estate administration may also involve trust administration. If the will calls for the establishment of a trust and you have been named a trustee, one of our trusts attorneys at Invictus Law, P.C. helps you understand your responsibilities and the steps you’re required to take.
Get the legal assistance you need to administer a loved one’s estate
Invictus Law, P.C. helps estate personal representatives carry out the duties that their loved ones have entrusted them with. Call us at (949) 287-5711 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation. We are happy to answer your questions and to serve you from one of our conveniently located offices in Orange and San Bernardino counties.